Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Picked Up A Tranny Today
(11-29-2020, 11:01 PM)tier1bro Wrote: nice. i can put 4x8 sheets of plywood in the back of the excursion. Dodgy
Diesel or V10 or did you just buy a 5.4 because you were already doing stupid shit like buying an Excursio
(12-27-2020, 08:19 PM)SNAFU Wrote:
(11-29-2020, 11:01 PM)tier1bro Wrote: nice. i can put 4x8 sheets of plywood in the back of the excursion. Dodgy
Diesel or V10 or did you just buy a 5.4 because you were already doing stupid shit like buying an Excursio
sadly its a v10;

my best friend owns a junkyard / tow yard, my other buddy owns just a tow yard, this excursion was impounded when it's owner went to jail. tow yard files for and receives a clean title, i bought it for $1,000. it has 5 brand new $187 firestones on it, a brand new set of warn premium locking hubs on it (i assume the vacuum actuator shit the bed). it runs like a top. 

when i bought it it had been run out of gas twice (running a old gas super duty out of gas throws a check engine light), none of the interior lights or windows or mirrors worked (when a door ajar switch goes bad all the dome, running board, ect lights stay on and drain the battery), v10s are notorious for braking exhaust manifold bolts (this one has two broken on drivers side).

i knew what i was looking at when i looked it over, but figured worst case the motor is worth $3k here, the axles are $1500, trans and tcase are another $1k, and the seats and door panels are a quick sale at $500. i even considered putting the axles under my OBS as at the time i had the excursion delivered via roll back the front ttb axle was out from under my OBS.

10 gallons of fresh gas, and 3 driving cycles around the neighborhood and the check engine light went out. a new 15 amp fuse confirmed that the dash thought a door was ajar, i dove straight into the rear hatch as it has two switches (the most birds with the least amount of stones, and all that). it turned out to be the hatch switches.

everything works now, it runs like a top 99% of the time. i think i have a cracked coil on one of the cylinders as it will develop a miss once in a while. one of these days i will buy a set of banks headers for it (they have a 5/8 flange) they eliminate the broken bolt issue but they are $1,200. 

all said and done i have $1,500 in it, it is a limited (every option) black, v10, 4x4, with new 10 plys, 220,000 miles. aside from the hood and roof the paint is great, i think a $200 detail would make this fat bitch look new again. 

it'll get lifted a couple inches (it'll clear 33s now it has 265s on it now) but i am going to put actual f250 / 350 springs on it to get rid of some of the body roll and wander. i would like 35s (probably on some queer 20s), i think they will be perfect with the 4.30 gears. right now it cruises at 2200, almost 3k at 80. it get 10.8 miles to the gallon, but it runs on cheap gas.  Big Grin

i think this was my "deal of the year" this year.  Dodgy